Monday 10 February 2014

Battered

I put my foot in it. 

Seemingly forgetting City away, when Skirtel kneed home the first I referred to a trust I had in this team, even when a goal down. 

In recent years you worried about Arsenal having the belief to come back once they'd conceded a lead. Before I finished my sentence the fucker headed home another. 

If a boxer retains the slightest know how having been knocked down twice in the first round, he clings to his opponent, doing all he can to stay in the fight, giving him time to regroup. Compose himself. 

After the second knock down Arsenal's guard was down, Özil's knees wobbled and Liverpool picked us off with ease for a third. 

An important game over before we were even in it. The league leaders looking anything but. 

Liverpool's pressure off the ball was impressive. Three men closed every Arsenal pass, of which rarely three were strung together. Their pressure and work rate put me in mind of the intensity Pep Guardiola inserts into his teams. Arsenal had nothing.

From such a position so early on another manager might have made changes. So many were woefully poor that three changes wouldn't have been enough. 

Wednesday becomes even more important. The trust I had waivers, none too confident of our ability to recover from two losses in a week. 


No comments:

Post a Comment